Friday 6 October 2017

Mixed Media Portrait - finished

Servus!

My mixed media portrait is finished. Thank you all so much for the lovely comments on my "work in progress" post over here and for the likes and comments on facebook - this really means a lot to me and is great encouragement! Mwah! XXX




Time to write down a bit of info on media and techniques used before I forget them...

In my previous post I had come to the stage to the right - with charcoal sketch and walnut ink being added to the shady spots.

Then I went in with a fine tip brush and Raw Umber and Translucent White DecoArt media fluid acrylics to fill in any fine detail, more detailed shading and highlights.






















As many of the fluid acrylics are at least semi-transparent they work really well for shading as you can dilute them into washes and still have the background show through. 



I made a copy so I could cut out a mask.


Placing the mask on the portrait I spritzed on some rusty hinge Distress stain. I also added some of it to the portrait with a fine tip brush. As the Distress stains stay reactive with water (or moisture in general) I sealed everything with a matte spray varnish.


Then I used the mask again and added white Gesso that I scraped on with a palette knife. Then I added Raw Umber. Once that was dry, I used Prussian Blue Hue to add a bit of contrast to the warm colour tones. I finished the portrait up with some stencilled on black stars and a bit of stamping here and there.



The finished piece (detail):



Some close ups of spots that I like best:












Materials and media used:
MDF panel
DecoArt media white and black Gesso
DecoArt media fluid acrylic paints - Raw Umber, Translucent White, Prussian Blue Hue
DecoArt media matte medium
DecoArt media white modeling paste
Charcoal pencil
Walnut Ink (Tsukineko Walnut Ink Crystals)
Distress Spray Stain - Rusty Hinge
Matte spray varnish
Stencils
Rubber stamps
Archival black stamping ink (Ranger)




7 comments:

  1. Wundervoll vollendet Claudia! Einfach toll dieses Mixed Media Portrait!
    UNIQUE!
    Hab ein schönes Wochenende!
    Busserl
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding!!! I love it. An amazing piece of art!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in AWE!!! This is amazing Claudia, you are so talented! Love the textures you have added into this. hugs, Maura

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope I don't offend anyone, but I think he is Very Sexy and that is totally captured in your work. Thanks for sharing him with us. Absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So meine Liebe da bin ich auch wieder *gg
    erst einmal danke für deinen lieben Kommi, aber das was du hier machst ist echte Kunst...
    meine Karten sind zwar künstlerisch aber nicht so einzigartig wie deine Werke !!!!
    Ich bin von deinem Herren Portrait sehr angetan, und mal gespannt ob noch ein Pendant folgt... mich würde es freuen
    LG hellerlittle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly INCREDIBLE.... AWED Claudia. Love him. Xj.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your visit and especially for taking the time to leave me a short comment! This is highly appreciated! xxx