Sunday 30 March 2014

"Buttons" challenge at That Craft Place

Servus and welcome back!



Today That Craft Place have launched their new challenge "Buttons" over at their challenge blog and I browsed through the fabulous stuff Lisa sent me to create with as a DT member to create a project to share at Natter&Chatter today. There were no buttons but some awesome wood embellishments that - when stitched to a surface instead of glued - looked rather close to buttons to me ;)

Today I want to start with showing you the backside of the tag I made...just to let you have a glimpse behind the curtain ;)


LOL....as you can see there has been some furious stitching and stapling. But on the frontside it looks a lot less chaotic...promise!


See my "buttons"? ;)
I admit I would not want to have to fiddle these "buttons" through any holes but they are at least a bit button-ish (I hope). First I thought about stitching the skulls to the tag by using the eye holes but that looked rather silly - even though it would have been closer to the button theme. But - as I never tire to repeat (and do) - we all have to make sacrifices to art and so I went for the visibly more attractive solution. ;)


The steering wheels and skulls were given coats of picket fence and weathered wood Distress crackle paint. The tag's background is made of black Kraft core which I ran through the Sizzix using a crackle embossing folder and which I sanded down afterwards. The pediments were die cut from brown card, blended with DI "black soot" and sanded down too.





The portrait of Captain Jack Sparrow is a quick sketch done after a DVD cover from one of the PotC movies.

The white gauze was first glued to the tag's sides (forming the quilling while putting it down) and then stapled to the tag. To cover the staples I stitched some linen ribbon on top of the gauze quillings.


Stuff from Lisa's store used on this project:

- white gauze
- Ditzie Designs skulls (wood embellishments)
- Ditzie Designs wheels (wood embellishments)
- Distress Inks
- lace ribbon




More "buttons" inspiration and the challenge are to be found at That Craft Place Challenge blog.
If you want to natter and chatter about your button makes or look out for some inspiration visit That Craft Pace Natter&Chatter on facebook.
You can also become a member of That Craft Place on facebook and ask Lisa and her team for some special orders on products.


Hugs and happy crafting!
Claudia xoxo

12 comments:

  1. Haha I love it! Love that wheel too! Great addition! Who doesn't just love Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your drawing of Captain Jack is amazing, I love the whole tag, it is beautiful. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeepers, I can see I've been missing some fun... congratulations on joining the DT for That Craft Place, and what a cool creation for starters! Love that spidery embossed texture and fab crackle on the skull and wheels - and a fabulous portrait of Captain Jack!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hach, was hast du wieder für tolle Kunstwerke gefertigt, liebe Claudia! Ich hatte diesen Monat so wenig Zeit für alles und ich sehe schon, ich habe so einiges verpasst (aber das lässt sich ja nachholen)
    Dein Captain Jack ist übrigens wahnsinnig gut geworden!
    Liebe Grüße
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh arghh me hearties!! Great tag love all the textures that you have got onto this one, fabulous tag Claudia
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  6. great great piece! Totally i love it !! I love crackle texture in every detail! barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, wow, wow Claudia, - what an amazing piece!! Fabulously put together (love all the crackling of course). That portrait of Captain Jack is incredible, you could/should be a stamp designer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sooooooo glad you are including so many of your sketches in your work. They are marvelous. Captain Jack is really one of my favorite characters of all time. Gorgeous way to hide staples ... love the hand stitched ribbon. And the pediment at the bottom ... perfect for this piece. Incredible DT piece!! Hugs -- ME

    ReplyDelete
  9. Johnny forever, das sieht sooo megaklasse aus, total super Materialmischung. Bin begeistert.
    Liebe Grüße
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I am wanting to watch a certain Pirate movie right about now!! Claudia this is such a fabulous tag! Love the pop of red and that crackled texture and the sketch of Captain Jack! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Captain Jack has never looked so good Claudia! Love the crackle and lace too. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Großartig, ich mag besonders die neugestaltete Form des Tags mit den Stanzschablonen, natürlich die Gaze und den super gemalten Captain Jack!! LG Kerstin

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your visit and especially for taking the time to leave me a short comment! This is highly appreciated! xxx